The main office is situated in the town of Ostrovets as far as 4 kilometres from Gudogai railway station.
Nowadays the territory of the forestry is 84,600 hectares, 75,200 hectares are covered with forests, the largest areas are under pine forests – 64.1%, under birch forests – 17.3%, under fir-woods – 10%, under alder groves – 6.6%, under aspen groves – 1.3% and under oak groves – 0.4%. Through the territory of the forestry pass Minsk – Vilnius railway, famous Polotsk highway (motor-car route Vilnius – Polotsk), motorway Vorona – Oshmiany, besides, there are 1,525 kilometres of intradistrict motorways. The forestry lies within the bounds of 1 managerial district – Ostrovets, and is characterized by a developed system of lakes, rivers and streams belonging to the Baltic water basin. The largest water artery on the territory of the forestry is the river Vilia (Niaris), the right tributary of the Nieman. The Vilia flows in the northern and north-eastern part of the forestry through the territory of 5 forestries. All the way the width of it ranges from 50 to 100 metres, the depth is between 1 and 3 metres and the current speed is 1.5 metres per second. Among other rivers running through the territory of the forestry the most significant are the Oshmianka, the Losha, the Stracha and the Sarochanka.Five fish species live in the waters of of these rivers which are included into the Red Book – grayling,atlantic salmon, trout, bull trout, simple barbell. Twenty forest lakes are found within the bounds of the forestry.
Ostrovets forestry is situated in the moderate zone of the Atlantic-continental region. Climatic conditions of this zone are formed mostly under the influence of marine and continental air of temperate latitudes. Average year temperature of the air is +5.5ºC, average precipitation is 673 mm. Summers are relatively warm, winters are comparatively mild with frequent thaws.
On the territory of the forestry there are the Republican wetland reserve “The White Moss” with the area of 808 hectares and the Republican landscape reserve “The Sorochanskiye Lakes” with the area of 11,197 hectares, which include 12 lakes the largest among which is the Tumskoye, the Yedi, the Beloye, the Vorobyi, the Turoveyskoye. Here are also the local landscape reserve “Lake Byk” with the area of 113 hectares. There are 9 monuments of republican and 1 nature monuments of district importance, as well as nature monument of republican importance – geological uncovering of interglacial belt clays Komarishki.
Ostrovets Forestry is responsible for state management of utilization, protection and preservation of forest funds as well as reproduction of forests in the system of the Ministry of Forestry of the Republic of Belarus.
The main purpose of Ostrovets Forestry is preservation and creation of forest funds which should be highly productive, of proper quality, kind and age of forest fauna, biologically stable, answering to modern ecological, social and economic needs of the society and the state and taking into account main requirements of the forest laws:
- According to the regulations of State Forestry Institution “Ostrovets Forestry” realizes the following functions: management of the use, reproduction, protection and preservation of the local forest funds belonging to the Forestry;
- Realization of state programmes and projects of development of forestry aimed at raising the productivity and quality of forests, strengthening their functions of nature protection, supply of the branches of economy and the population with all kinds of timber products;
- State registration of forests and of state forest cadastre (maintaining public accounting of forests and state forest inventory);
Creation and cultivation of forest plantations as well as restoration of cut down areas of trees in proper time and by economically valuable species;
- Forest protection from fires, illegal cutting down and other actions doing harm to forests, protection of forests from vermins and diseases;
- Exercising economic activities in the radioactively polluted zones satisfying the demands maintained by law;
- Radioactive control within the forestry boundaries, radiation and ecological monitoring, radiation control of manufactured timber goods;
- Government control of forests condition, use, reproduction, conservation and protection;
- To pursue proper economic, scientific and technical policy aimed at creation in the forestry necessary conditions for effective work and for solving urgent social matters;
- Withdrawal of forestry plots in accordance with established procedure;
- Construction and repairs of buildings, structures, forest cordons, fire towers, water reservoirs, arrangement and maintenance in proper conditions forest roads and means of communication;
- Intergrated management of forestry and hunting in accordance with established procedure, state control of hunting on the territory of the forestry.